Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

As I'm typing this post, my Turkey is roasting and my Pumpkin Pie is baking.
For those of you who know me, this is no typing error.
Some of you will know about my on going debate with my American friends as to whether pumpkin should or should not be used as a dessert. I am on the opposing side - I have my pumpkin roasted with a chicken, mashed as a side dish to steaks, pureed in soup or diced in a salad, I do not, under any circumstances have or believe anyone else should have their pumpkin served with cream, ice-cream, latte's or as I've recently discovered is a customary Thanksgiving side dish - with marshmellows!!!!
However - as one of my good friends has pointed out to me she did try the Vegemite I sent her from Australia (not with a positive outcome) and it is good manners not to knock what you haven't tried. She kindly sent me a recipe for Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie for which I am graciously giving in to peer pressure and serving up to my family tonight
(with whipped cream).
As tonight's dinner is going to be a tradional Thanksgiving dinner, with all the trimmings, my thoughts turn to the meaning behind this holiday.
I began thinking of all the things in my life for which I'm thankful for.
Today was proof that kind, generous people still remain in a world that is running scared of terrorists and other equally horrible threats.
After shopping today, Annie-May and I were driving home when my car coughed and spluttered before coming to a stop in the middle of an intersection.
I had run out of petrol (but that's another story!!!!!).
The man that was unfortunately stuck behind me immediately jumped out of his car and helped push my car to side of the road.
As my car rolled to safety I gave him a wave out of my rearview mirror.
To my surprise, a couple of minutes later, after he had returned to his car he pulled up behind me, he had come to see if he could drive me to the petrol station to get a jerry can. I thanked him very, very much for his kindness and told him I had already called for help, help which came in the form of my wonderfull friend, Ornella.
I knew Mark was in a meeting so I rang Ornella, who immediately dropped what she was doing to come to our rescue.
It's not about the amount of money we have, the size of our house or the possessions we have - it's about the people in our lives. And so, as my family celebrate Thanksgiving for the first time tonight we will be thankful for all the special people we know.
I'm thankful for my family, I'm thankful for my wonderful friends, both here and overseas and I'm thankful for the kindness of complete strangers.
Happy Thanksgiving to You
~ Peta ~

3 comments:

Summer... said...

What a wonderful story Peta! I'm sure your car will never run out of gas again! And your pie...what was the outcome? Deeeeelish, right? Yum, YUM! =)

Rosette said...

Hi peta... you habe something on my Blog :) Happy Saturday. Peace ♥

stampingtink said...

Sorry about running out of gas, but I'll bet the pies tasted fabulous! I love youre blog and your cards. I'm so excited about working on Summer's Design Team with you and the other talented ladies. We're going to have a blast together!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin